Pages

Italian Steak Sandwiches (topped with a tithing testimony builder at the end)

Saturday, February 27, 2010
So this is a PERFECT meal when you want something yummy but only have 15 minutes. (That happens to me a lot. Either because I am still learning how to time dinner so we eat earlier than 9:30 at night -a miracle if that happens - or because I just don't feel like making dinner sometimes).

2 Garlic Cloves (I used dried minced garlic)
1/8 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (like the kind you put on pizza...so if you have one of those packets left over from the last time you had pizza, that works perfectly)
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
16 slices deli roast beef (you could get fancy with this, but I just used the Great Value a.k.a. Wal-Mart brand)
1/2 cup beef broth
2 Tablespoons red cooking wine (optional. But I used it and it added a great flavor)
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes (I didn't have this so I omitted it)
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/4 teaspoon salt (oops, forgot to add this when I made this, but there is plenty of salt in the deli meat in my opinion, so let's say this is optional too).
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (I used dried ground oregano, worked great)
1/8 teaspoon pepper
4 sandwich rolls, split (we never have sandwich rolls in the house since it's just the two of us -well and Collin of course, but he's not interested in bread yet- and they'll get moldy sitting around so we just used good ol' regular wheat bread slices)
4 slices provolone cheese

In a large skillet, saute garlic and pepper flakes in oil for 1 minute. Add the roast beef, broth, cooking wine, and seasonings; heat through. Place beef slices on bread; drizzle with the broth mixture (we didn't drizzle ours but put the left over broth from the skillet in a bowl for dipping our sandwiches instead). Top with cheese.

We ate ours with carrot sticks on the side. YUM. (Best part? I only had one skillet to clean afterwards!)

K, so here's my tithing testimony builder. So times are tight, as we all know, but Brenden and I have always had faith that if we pay our tithing, everything will work out. We had still been making payments to Collin's hospital bill (yeah, the one we got when he was born....he'll be 7 months on Tuesday. ACK! My baby is 7 months old!!). Well, low and behold we got a random, unexpected check from BofA (my old employer) that they sent to me to pay out my unused vacation (which I didn't think I even had any) and all that stuff since I resigned. The amount on the check was $741.23. The remaining amount of Collin's hospital bill? $741.24. That's right. A penny difference. Can you believe it? So that's one hospital bill we've been able to pay off! Thanks Heavenly Father!!

2 comments:

Stephanie Shumway at: March 1, 2010 at 10:31 AM said...

That is AWESOME! (and the sandwiches sound divine) Thanks for sharing, Nikki!

Reese at: May 26, 2010 at 8:44 PM said...

That's so cool! I cannot count how many times we've had unexpected financial blessings (even BIG ones) when we put the Lord first - especially in those tough times. It's awesome. This is a good reminder for me, thank you.

Post a Comment