Pages

Wheat Crackuh!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wheat Crackers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: ~40

This thin wheat cracker is simple and thrifty to make. It will taste great with any dip or spread. Experiment with adding different things like herbs or sugar. (I'm eating mine with my soup and pepperjack cheese today and they're DELISH! These taste a lot like wheat thins if you do them the way I recommend at the bottom)

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used melted butter)
1 cup water
2 Tbs sugar or molasses (I used honey)

Directions:
In medium bowl stir together flours and salt. Pour in oil, sugar and water and mix until just blended. 
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough as thin as possible- no thicker than 1/8 inch. You can also roll out onto the cookie sheet and tear off extra dough. 
Place dough on an ungreased baking sheet, and mark squares out with a knife but dont cut all the way through. Prick each cracker with a fork a few times and sprinkle with salt.
Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until light brown and crisp.  Baking times will be different depending on how thin your crackers are.  When cool, remove from baking sheet and seperate into individual crackers.

Ok, I changed a few things on this recipe that I think helped with technique and flavor.
I used melted butter instead of oil and honey instead of sugar or molasses. 
I tried rolling the dough out on the pan, but you need a rolling pin without handles if there are edges on your tray. darn. so I just rolled it out on floured wax paper and it worked great and was easy to transfer to the pan cause I just flipped it over onto it and removed the wp from the top.
I wanted to make sure that the salt i sprinkled on top of the crackers stayed on them so I  did a quick spray with pam and then sprinkled and waa laa. it stuck. 
After I removed the crackers, I broke/cut them apart and removed the ones that were crispy enough and jumbled up the remaining crackers and placed them back in the oven for 5-10 more minutes to crispy them up. 
Word to the wise: These are really tasty, but there are two things you need to do to ensure that they turn out in a desirable fashion:
1. when the recipe says to roll them out as thinly as possible, it's not lying. it really means THIN. 1/8 inch is way too thick.  You will have thick chewy cracker bricks of you ignore this advice.
2. If you put an oven safe bowl with water in the corner of the oven it will help crispy these up (as it will with any bread crust you bake, just so you know)

Whew! Now that I've got THAT out of the way... I don't really have that much to say that I didn't say in the last recipe post. 
OH except that I'm finally registered for school now. I'm taking Honors English, Spanish, Exercise Physiology, and Rock History. :) fun fun!
Also, The boot camp I teach is going great in the mornings at 5am!  You all should come! Clarissa has started coming- you rock, girlfriend! (I'm totally channeling you, Lori) 
School starts for the kids two weeks from yesterday. any ideas what I should be sure to do with them before I lose them (and myself) to the impending attendance in the education system?
I also have taken a "break" from facebook. I still comment periodically but it's rare and nothing compared to what I did before. Now I've replaced it with blogging. oh brother. oh well, I look at it as journaling, but I'm going to have to curb even the blogging so I can pay closer attention to real life!  I mean, I have to have something to blog about, right ?? lol. 
Y'all need to post some recipes on here! Get on that, ladies!

0 comments:

Post a Comment